Don't Shake the Baby

Generalist sentiments regarding love, the art of drinking and drive by farting.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Hello.

I just moved into a new cubical at work. In under three days I have learned everything there is to know about my neighbor. Why? Because she tells me….everything.

Hello is a seemingly innocuous term. It can open conversations or be the conversation in and of itself. I did not know however that it could lead to learning minute intimate details of a woman who’s name I only remember when I walk by her cubical label.

I know she is caring for her grandchild. I know that her son in law is an alcoholic. That said granddaughter is in therapy and that she sleeps late…often until 12 in the afternoon (gasp!). I can tell you where they will be this Saturday between the hours of 9 and 11am. I also know that Internet gaming and web surfing are very, very important to my neighbor as are alone time, early rising and Wal-Mart.

What I don’t know is why I have been blessed with this knowledge. Could be my new perfume, only started wearing it since I moved cubicles. Might have to return it.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:45 PM, March 04, 2005, Blogger Betagal said…

    My friend Ted used to work in a cube next to an elderly woman named Ruth. Ruth was not only elderly, she was on the shorter side. She'd yell over the wall to him all the time. He told me a story once where he was sitting in his cube, entering numbers or something office-y, and he heard the sound of furniture being dragged in the cube next door--Ruth's cube. After a couple grunts and some noises, he heard from up above him:

    "Peeeeeeky eye, Ted!".

    Crazy ass Ruth had dragged her desk up to the wall, climbed up, and was now staring down at Ted.
    Maybe this is why they gave us low wall-ed cubes?

     
  • At 7:50 PM, March 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm...having spent several years in the world of cubicles fending off unwelcome invasions from those around me, I'd have to advocate a single incident of violent audible flatulence. It should be enough to give your neighbor pause, and if delivered in a discreet and timely manner, not alienate anyone else around you.

    Oh yeah, it would also be in keeping with one of the stated themes of your blog.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, March 07, 2005, Blogger thatgirlkelly said…

    Since I've posted this little blub, my neighbor has not been to work. Is she sick? Did she go on vacation and not tell me? Maybe she read the post and can't face me. I am a bad person.

    Though I must admitt i like the idea of silent but deadly vengence as suggested by anonymous...hope neighbor comes back soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home